Ranger Services

What Does Your Local Ranger Do?

Rangers are Local Government law enforcement officers responsible for the management of a number of Acts of Parliament and Local Laws within the Shire of Ravensthorpe.

Council Ranger can be contacted via email at ranger@ravensthorpe.wa.gov.au , or by phoning 0427 264 377.

What is a Local Law?

Local Governments (For example: Councils) have the power to make local laws considered necessary for the good governance of their districts. Local and Statewide comment from the public is considered before the proposed laws are accepted.
The Shire of Ravensthorpe Ranger Services implements and enforces policies that deal with many different Acts and Local Laws and some of these are listed below:


All dogs over the age of three (3) months must be registered. Dogs may be registered for a period of one or three years, with licenses always expiring 31 October each year.

The benefits in having your dog registered include the ability of Rangers to return the dog to you if they are found in a public place. If a dog is not registered, Rangers have no way of returning him/her.

Without special written approval, no more than two (2) dogs over the age of three months are permitted to be kept at any property within the Shire of Ravensthorpe Town sites or special rural areas.


Dog Fees
 One YearThree YearsLifetime
Sterilised $20 $42.50 $100
Unsterilised $50 $120 $250
Concession 50% of fee (proof of concession required)  
Working Dog 25% of fee  

Common Complaints


A dog attack can take many forms, from a person or animal being chased and growled at, to a physical contact resulting in the death of an animal or injury to a person. All attacks should be reported to Ranger Services, regardless of the severity of the attack. All complaints are confidential. A dog that has shown the propensity to attack may be declared as a Dangerous Dog and be subject to additional control requirements e.g. muzzled in public.


Neighbors are encouraged to speak to dog owners if they are concerned about excessive barking. In some cases people due to work commitments are unaware that their dog(s) are barking.

If the barking continues to be unreasonable after speaking to the dog owner, residents are encouraged to contact ranger services. A ranger will then liaise with the complainant and a barking diary will be provided to gather evidence of the complaint. The ranger after 7 days will then contact the dog owner and advise them of the complaint and present the evidence gathered (excluding the complainants details), a further 7 days is provided for the dog owner to comply with any requirements with evidence still being gathered by the complainant so as to ascertain if the corrective action is working.

Rangers are currently limited in their powers in relation to dog barking and do not have the authority to remove a dog from its residence.

Dog Excreta

Dog owners under state law and local laws are responsible for picking up after their dogs, they are encouraged to provide their own dog poo bags and not be reliant on those in parks. Failure to pick up after your dog in public may result in a $100 fine.

Dog Wander

Dogs must be held by a leash (not longer than 2 meters) in all public places, a public place is defined as a place to which the public have ready access too.

It is the responsibility of the dog owner or the person caring for the dog to ensure that the dog is secure on the property to which it belongs or is currently residing at.

Owners are obliged to keep their dog under control at all times. The Shire Ranger carries out patrols and will impound roaming dogs. Penalties apply as outlined in the Dog Act for owners of impounded animals.

Council Ranger can be contacted via email at ranger@ravensthorpe.wa.gov.au , or by phoning 0427 264 377.

Other Ranger Responsibilities

Camping areas and obligations

There are a number of camping areas in Shire of Ravensthorpe that are under the care and control of the Shire.

Campers are required to comply with signs at the site relating to fires, camping conditions and local conditions. Camping fees apply and are collected by the Ranger.


Owners of livestock in the Shire of Ravensthorpe are responsible for ensuring their fences and gates are capable of containing their animals within the boundaries of the property.

Livestock wandering onto either public land or other private property may cause accident or injury and owners may be liable for any damages. Should rangers impound livestock the owner will incur poundage fees and infringement.

Native fauna

Should you require assistance with an injured or dangerous native animal (including the removal of snakes) please contact the Ravensthorpe office of the Department of Parks and Wildlife on 9838 1967. For wild life rescure please contact Julia Bell on 9838 1092.


All cats over the age of three (3) months must be registered, chipped and sterilised. Cats may be registered for a period of one year, three years or lifetime; with the 1 and 3 year licenses always expiring 31 October each year.

The benefits in having your cat registered include the ability of Rangers to return the cat to you if it is found in a public place. If a cat is not registered, Rangers have no way of returning him/her.


Cat fees
 One YearThree YearsLifetime
Sterilised $20 $42.50 $100
Concession $10 $21.25 $50
(Proof of concession required)   

You are also informed that failure to have your cat registered can result in a fine, as defined in State legislation - Cat Act 2011 and Cat Regulations 2012.