Surrounded by five other Shires, the Shire has a population with 54% male and 46% females of which 97% are Australian citizens.
The Shire has its main town of Ravensthorpe with four surrounding settlements of Fitzgerald, Hopetoun, Jerdacuttup and Munglinup.
The main industries include a spread of mining, wheat and general farming, sheep, and cattle whilst maintaining a fledgling and struggling tourist industry and various tourist attractions.
The Shire conducts a number of significant local events including the Spring Festival, the Wildflower Show and Summer School all of which draw reasonable crowds and many visitors.
The Shire’s population has seen many large variations over the years with the major cause being the mining industries.
30% of the population are volunteers playing a large part in keeping the towns vibrant, as do the many clubs and groups.
There are town blocks available and a number of rural properties of various sizes, very few homes are for sale and rentals are at a premium.
The Shire is blessed with an over abundance of sporting facilities which would serve a growing community extremely well.
Key Shire Statistics
Shire of Ravensthorpe Statistics Information
|Area of Shire
||12,872 sq kilometres
|Length of Sealed Roads
|Length of Unsealed Roads
|Number of Electors
|Number of Dwellings
|Number of Full-Time Employees
|Estimated Resident Population % in 2004 (more reflective of 2009)|
|85 and over
|Resident Statistics Total|
|Resident Statistics Total by town|
- Agriculture – is historically the supporting industry for the Shire and continues to provide the main stay for employment
- Mining – also stretches back into the Shire’s history and will continue to provide employment and bring financial interest and tourism to the area
- Tourism – is a developing area with much for the visitors to see
- Small Business – is working well within the Shire and many new small businesses are starting up across the region
- Chamber of Commerce – the Ravensthorpe Regional Chamber of Commerce can be contacted on 0409 370625