Ranger Services

What Does Your Local Ranger Do?

Rangers are Local Government law enforcement officers responsible for the management of a number of Acts of Parliament and Local Laws within the Shire of Ravensthorpe.

Council Ranger can be contacted via:  Email: shire@ravensthorpe.wa.gov.au  Phone: (08) 9839 0000.

What is a Local Law?

Local Governments (For example: Councils) have the power to make local laws considered necessary for the good governance of their districts. Local and Statewide comment from the public is considered before the proposed laws are accepted.
The Shire of Ravensthorpe Ranger Services implements and enforces policies that deal with many different Acts and Local Laws and some of these are listed below:


All dogs over the age of three (3) months must be registered. Dogs may be registered for a period of one or three years, with licenses always expiring 31 October each year.

The benefits in having your dog registered include the ability of Rangers to return the dog to you if they are found in a public place. If a dog is not registered, Rangers have no way of returning him/her.

Without special written approval, no more than two (2) dogs over the age of three months are permitted to be kept at any property within the Shire of Ravensthorpe Town sites or special rural areas.

Common Complaints


A dog attack can take many forms, from a person or animal being chased and growled at, to a physical contact resulting in the death of an animal or injury to a person. All attacks should be reported to Ranger Services, regardless of the severity of the attack. All complaints are confidential. A dog that has shown the propensity to attack may be declared as a Dangerous Dog and be subject to additional control requirements e.g. muzzled in public.


Neighbours are encouraged to speak to dog owners if they are concerned about excessive barking. In some cases, people due to work commitments are unaware that their dog(s) are barking.

If the barking continues to be unreasonable after speaking to the dog owner, residents are encouraged to contact ranger services. A ranger will then liaise with the complainant and a barking diary will be provided to gather evidence of the complaint. The ranger after 7 days will then contact the dog owner and advise them of the complaint and present the evidence gathered (excluding the complainants details), a further 7 days is provided for the dog owner to comply with any requirements with evidence still being gathered by the complainant so as to ascertain if the corrective action is working.

Rangers are currently limited in their powers in relation to dog barking and do not have the authority to remove a dog from its residence.

When is a dog considered a nuisance? 

Under the Western Australian Dog Act 1976 a dog is considered a nuisance if:

  • The dog makes a noise by barking or otherwise that persistently occurs or continues to such a degree or extent that it unreasonably interferes with the peace, comfort or convenience of any person in any place.  Generally speaking, examples of possible nuisance noise or barking can include:
    • Barking at passing traffic, people or other dogs that continues for some time after the distraction has passed
    • Barking regularly during the hours of darkness
    • Barking, whining and/or howling for regular periods in excess of 15 minutes when the owners are absent or inside the house and the dogs is outside
    • Barking associated with other behavioural problems

What can I do?

In 60% of cases, dog nuisance complaints are solved when the neighbour speaks directly to the dog owner before intervention from the Shire of Ravensthorpe. 

  • Speak with the dog's owner as soon as the dog becomes a nuisance
  • Let the dog owner know when the dog is barking, and how it is affecting their neighbours
  • Be courteous, informative and supportive of any suggestions to rectify the problem
  • The Shire provides a basic letter, for you to fill out and pass on to your neighbour. This is included in the barking dog package.
  • If the owner fails to accept there is a problem, a complaint should be lodged with the Shire on (08) 9839 0000.

Following a complaint, the Shire will send the affected neighbour(s) a copy of the Barking Dog Procedure and a barking dog diary. The Shire suggests that two or more neighbours take part in the diary recordings.

The complainant(s) are given 28 days to complete and return the diary to the Shire at: PO Box 43, Ravensthorpe, WA 6346 or drop it off at the Shire office located at 65 Morgans Street, Ravensthorpe.

What is happens next?

  • If the diary supports the complaint of nuisance barking the Shire will contact the dog owners to arrange a visit to discuss the complaint
  • A letter will also be provided to the dog owner detailing the times the nuisance barking is allegedly occurring. This will be the first opportunity for the dog owner to abate the nuisance

The main objective of the Shire’s Dog Diary procedure is to satisfactorily resolve dog barking complaints as early as possible.

The dog owners is given three opportunities to abate the nuisance. Each time complainants must complete a 14 day diary, the same as a seven day diary.

After the second opportunity the Shire will serve an order against the owner of the dog. If the noise has not been abated and the barking continues, the Shire may issue an infringement in accordance with the Dog Act 1976.

Following the infringement, if the nuisance barking is still happening, the Shire can take court action against the dog owner.

Please note: The completion of the diaries is necessary to provide sufficient evidence for the Shire to act on.

Click here to download an information package regarding Barking Dogs.

If you would like further information regarding the Shire of Ravensthorpe’s procedure and how to obtain the Barking Dog package please call the Shire Ranger during office hours  on (08) 9839 0000.

Dog Excreta

Dog owners under state law and local laws are responsible for picking up after their dogs, they are encouraged to provide their own dog poo bags and not be reliant on those in parks. Failure to pick up after your dog in public may result in a $100 fine.

Dog Wander

Dogs must be held by a leash (not longer than 2 meters) in all public places, a public place is defined as a place to which the public have ready access to.

It is the responsibility of the dog owner or the person caring for the dog to ensure that the dog is secure on the property to which it belongs or is currently residing at.

Owners are obliged to keep their dog under control at all times. The Shire Ranger carries out patrols and will impound roaming dogs. Penalties apply as outlined in the Dog Act for owners of impounded animals.

Dogs are permitted off the lead in Council Approved Areas as long as they are under effective control- the person responsible must still have a lead on them. 

  • On the reserve, corner of Buckie Street/ Veal Street- Hopetoun
  • On the beaches, 400m east of 2 Mile Beach heading in an easterly direction
  • On the beaches west of Barrens View Lane, Hopetoun 

Dogs are prohibited absolutely from the below areas 

  • On the reserve between Dawn Street, Chambers Street and Buckie Street, Hopetoun
  • On the beach between the Groyne and the old boat ramp, Hopetoun
  • All food premises and food transport vehicles
  • A public building, unless permitted by a sign 

Please refer to the Dog Local Law 2010 for more detailed information

Other Ranger Responsibilities

Camping areas and obligations

There are a number of camping areas in Shire of Ravensthorpe that are under the care and control of the Shire.

Campers are required to comply with signs at the site relating to fires, camping conditions and local conditions. 

Camping Fees apply, more information can be found here


Owners of livestock in the Shire of Ravensthiorpe are responsible for ensuring their fences and gates are capable of containing their animals within the boundaries of the property.

Livestock wandering onto either public land or other private property may cause accident or injury and owners may be liable for any damages. Should Rangers impound livestock the owner will incur poundage fees and infringement.

Native fauna

Should you require assistance with an injured or dangerous native animal (including the removal of snakes) please contact the Ravensthorpe office of the Department of Parks and Wildlife on 9838 1967. For wild life rescue please contact Julia Bell on (08) 9838 1092.


All cats over the age of six (6) months must be registered, chipped and sterilised. Cats may be registered for a period of one year, three years or lifetime; with the 1 and 3 year licenses always expiring 31 October each year.

The benefits of having your cat registered include the ability of Rangers to return the cat to you if it is found in a public place. If a cat is not registered, Rangers have no way of returning him/her.


You are also informed that failure to have your cat registered can result in a fine, as defined in State legislation - Cat Act 2011 and Cat Regulations 2012.

Please click on the following link to view the current Fees & Charges.