Cultural Attractions


Cocanarup Homestead

Cocanarup Homestead (it was probably built between 1868-1871) is a typical spartan pioneer's house made from local stone and galvanised iron. It is located on private property however it is possible to visit the old home. Contact Ravensthorpe Visitor Information Centre phone (08) 9838 1191.

The Palace Hotel

The Palace Hotel in Morgan Street was built in 1907 and is the outstanding building in town. It was built from local bricks with a large upstairs verandah and an ornamental staircase. The stained glass window, once a feature of the hotel, is no longer in existence.

Government Smelter

Perhaps the most poignant evidence of the town's former glory is the disused Government Smelter where mountainous tailings dumps and old equipment stand starkly as a reminder of the importance the town enjoyed during the copper and gold rush period. Operating between 1906 and 1918, it smelted gold and copper ingots and once employed around 120 men. The rounded chunks of molten rock are slag remnants, once poured into crucibles then wheeled off for dumping via trolleys. The site is located 2 km south-east of town via the road to Hopetoun. 

Ravensthorpe Historical Society Museum

The main attraction is the Ravensthorpe Historical Society Museum which is located in Dance Cottage beside the South Coast Highway. It contains an array of memorabilia and other items pertaining to local history and is open every morning. It can also be opened by arrangement (see the telephone numbers outside) at other times. Apart from Dance Cottage itself the museum complex includes the town's first gaol and the guard's van from the Hopetoun-Ravensthorpe railway.

Ceramic Pioneer Mural

Located at Jubilee Park on the main street in Ravensthorpe with playground and BBQ facilities.


As part of the Fitzgerald Biosphere Reserve, the region is reputed to have more plants for its size than any other similar area in the world. Flowers are in evidence all year round, although spring is best.

Yummylicious Candy Shack

The largest freestanding lollipop in the world.


McCulloch Park

The entrance of the park is made of timber salvaged from the old jetty. The park has a drinking water fountain, electric barbeque, toilet and children's playground equipment and a new replica Railway Station and Bandstand which is now a prominent feature. The park was named after Jim McCulloch MBE, a respected Hopetoun resident and philanthropist, who founded the Ravensthorpe Museum and Wildflower Show.

The Groyne

The Groyne was constructed in 1984 to replace the old jetty finally demolished in 1983. There are six remaining pylons of the old jetty (on the foreshore beach near the large shelter) a 430 m wooden structure which extended the lightering jetty and curved to the south east into deep water. The year of its completion in 1907 marked also the start of the building of the Hopetoun-Ravensthorpe railway when a mile of track was laid reaching from the head of the jetty to the warehouse. More information in "Hopetoun Jetty 1902 - 1983".

Hopetoun Railway Station 1909 - 1935

The layout of the tracks and buildings, the bases of the overhead tank, inspection pit and the remains of the turntable can still be seen 600 metres east along the Esplanade following the Railway Heritage Walk trail. The station was demolished in the 1940's, a new replica Railway Station and Bandstand is now a prominent feature in McCulloch park in the centre of Hopetoun. In 1947 a salmon cannery which was constructed along the line on the now clear area of the roadside 200 m, after Chambers Street. This was demolished in the 1950s. A further 1.3 km east along the Esplanade note the track of the railway line bearing away north at an angle. It leads to the ruins of the first building in the Hopetoun area, Dunn’s Cottage. This makes a very pleasant walk along the old railway line following the Railway Heritage walk trail. Other sections of the Walk Trail between Ravensthorpe and Hopetoun are described in brochures available at the Visitors Centres.

Old Post Office 1901 - 1978

Manual telephone was originally operated here. Business and rainfall recording then moved across the street to the General Store (1978). This building was extensively renovated and restored in 2001 the renovation won a Finalist award in the WA Design Awards in 2002.

Old Metropolitan Hotel

Now shops and offices this building was built 1903. Modern stained glass leadlight windows.

Dunn's Swamp and Dunn Cottage

Just 1 km further north along the Hopetoun road is the sign for Dunn's Swamp along a gravel road on the east. It is well worth a visit to this calm and beautiful fresh water lake surrounded by paperbark trees. An un-signposted southerly track leads to the ruins of Dunn's Cottage built in 1877. This may be easier to find by following the Railway Heritage Walk Trail. The Dunn brothers chose this spot to water their sheep, shear them and transport the wool from Mary Ann Haven by boat rather than by land from Cocanarup to Albany.